Sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RobinRosine, Mar 11, 2015.

1. RobinRosine

RobinRosine New Egg

Mar 11, 2015
    I have 2 hens. One is ill. It started with diarrhea but now has progressed to walking backwards in circles, not eating, weak, wings hanging down some, very lethargic. Her comb also is flaking badly. The other hen is fine. We have alot of wild birds in our backyard where the chickens are. Quail, doves and songbirds. There is also a possibility that she could have ingested ivy. Is this toxic? I have added vinegar to drinking water and plain yogurt to diet but I'm not seeing any improvement. Any ideas?

2. Hannahloveshens

Hannahloveshens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2015
    If you can I would take her to the vets if she has eaten something poisonous it could be fatal if you cannot keep giving her yogurt, and possibly some vitamins like b and e hope she gets better soon
    Does she have white spots on her comb

3. RobinRosine

RobinRosine New Egg

Mar 11, 2015
    no white spots, but she does have little flaky spots on her comb

4. Hannahloveshens

Hannahloveshens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2015
    Hi I'm not a professional but it sounds like avian pox, hope she gets better soon :)

5. RobinRosine

RobinRosine New Egg

Mar 11, 2015
    Hello All chicken Lovers!

My sick hen appears to have turned a corner over the past 2 days. She has started drinking water and eating again. She is still weak and slow moving but is doing better! Thanks for the kind thoughts and hopefully she is on the mend! Robin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by