sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mib1, Mar 24, 2015.

1. mib1

mib1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2014
    Piney Creek
    I have a hen thas is swelled up and not movinG all she does is stand there with her eyes closed. She also has a lump on her neck. Just wondering if anyone might know what this might be.

2. mompom

mompom Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2014
    Lake City, FL
    Sounds like sour crop. Google how to treat it.

3. mib1

mib1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2014
    Piney Creek
    Ok thank you so much

4. mib1

mib1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2014
    Piney Creek
    My chicken died and when I got home I had another one dead. I Google it and it never said if it was contagious. the one today looked like her insides was going 2 come out her butt. does this sound like sour crop

5. darkbrahmamama

darkbrahmamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2013
    That sounds like prolapsed vent. There are a few different things going on by the sounds of it. Hard to say for sure.

6. mib1

mib1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2014
    Piney Creek
    Is that contagious

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Neither prolapsed vent or sour crop are contagious. The two hens that died, what was their body condition like? How many more chickens do you have?

8. mib1

mib1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2014
    Piney Creek
    They were fine the day before. And very healthy. They were outside all day sunday. I have 6 more

9. mib1

mib1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2014
    Piney Creek
    Could it be something in the food? I have not changed anything in the last month. This is my first flock and I'm still learning. It seems like they are fine and then a couple hours later they are dead. I'm worried about my other cchickens

10. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

The first thing I would change, would be buy a new bag of feed. Check the date on the label to make sure it is fresh.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by