Sick Chickens!! Advice Please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rachele30, Mar 6, 2012.

1. rachele30

rachele30 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2012
    I have 5 adult chickens, one splash orphington, two blue orphingtons, and two golden comets that are gurgling and have like a sticky mucus on their beaks. They sound like they are drowning when they breath. Also seem to be holding beaks open alot when they are breathing. Two of them are setting right now. So far the rest of them don't seem to have it just yet. I have put antibiotics in their water but I don't know what else to do. I have called every vet in the tristate area and none seem to know anything at all about poultry and have no suggestions at all or any idea what this might be. I have searched the internet but getting no good answers there either. Does anyone know what this might be and anything I can do to save them?

2. SimplySplendidSilkies

SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    Tylan 50 found at TSC for 10.00 inject-able! I only have bantams but give my adults (3 lb bird) 1 cc. I would say for LF at least 1&1/2. Injected sub cue 3-5 days I usually go just under the wing alternating side each day. I have diabetic syringes but if you can't get them pick up the smallest TSC has.

I am not a vet this is just what I use!
    Good luck!

3. SimplySplendidSilkies

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    I wanted to add stop with the antibiotics in the water if you are gonna do Tylan. Vet RX on the beak will also help them.

4. rachele30

Mar 5, 2012
    Thanks so much for the info! Have you ever had this respiratory problem with any of your chickens? Do you have any idea what this is?

5. rachele30

Mar 5, 2012
    Oh, and the Vet RX, can i get that at TSC or Rural King?

6. SimplySplendidSilkies

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    I don't know specifics but it is most defiantly an URI! I have had a few runny noses in the past and even the gurgling you are describing on a couple. I have had great results with the Tylan 50 not 200. On day 2 you will not think it is working but day 3 you can really tell it is kicking in. The Vet Rx can also be picked up at TSC should be around 8 bucks.

Good luck!

7. rachele30

Mar 5, 2012
    Thank You!. I appreciate it so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by