Sick Chickens and bubbles in eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bockbocker, Jul 22, 2011.

1. bockbocker

bockbocker New Egg

Jul 22, 2011
    Hi: Just a little confused about what is wrong with my chickens. I have 8 Rhode Island Reds and 3 Barred Rocks. One day one of the reds eyes was literally swollen shut. The following day one of my Rocker hens had bubbles in her eyes (and I notice she's been sneezing), the next day a different red had bubbles in her left eye as well (only (2) of my chickens are laying eggs, the birds are probably about 5-7 months). Keep in mind they're all eating

I've been coming here for answers and it seems like it can be a multitude of different things. CRD, Bronchitis, etc. Also, I called a local feed supply store and he said that I'm feeding them the wrong food (layer pellets when I should still be feeding them food for young chickens).

I've been giving them duramycin for (2) days and defintely plan on putting them on a different food. I also plan on going to a pet supply store that sells Teramycin and inject it in them via eedle.

Keep in mind I don't hear any weezing, no putrid smell from the eyes, only the Rock sneezes. Can someone give me some thoughts. I would really appreciate it, I love these girls and want to help them out anyway

Thanks

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I think I would use a different antibiotic, something for respiratory. Like Tylan.

I think the worst place to get advice is the feed store. 5-7 months is 20-28 weeks which is certainly when you want to give them layer. They need the calcium.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  3. bockbocker

bockbocker New Egg

Jul 22, 2011
    Tylan: Thats what I meant to say, sorry.

Also, have you ever heard of the improper food for young chickens like mine causing these kinds of problems? I guess vitamin deficincies?

Thanks much

4. bockbocker

bockbocker New Egg

Jul 22, 2011
    Didn't read the 2nd part of your post..Sorry

5. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Had the same thing...foamy eyes, sneezing, in two of my chickens. Used Tylan 50, 1cc first day, 1/2 cc 2nd and 3rd day. Both improved at first, but one has just made a turn for the worse, a few days after the final injection. Hope you have good results!

6. bockbocker

bockbocker New Egg

Jul 22, 2011
    Jefross...Keep me posted as to how things work out for you. I'll be certain to do the same

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by