1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sick chickens dying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by helpmeandmyb, Dec 28, 2014.

1. helpmeandmyb

helpmeandmyb Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2014
    Every winter for 6 years the same thing happens i loose more than half of my flock its so sad. This year before they die they have diarrhea and there poop is yellow greenish i dont know but anyways they never eat after that or drink or even move really that much i take the sick ones to another room and hope it dosnt spread but it dose it happens every year its so sad :(

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

How old are these birds that are dying? The symptoms sound like it could be coccidiosis... have you tried treating for it to see if there's any improvement?

3. helpmeandmyb

helpmeandmyb Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2014
    Some are 2 years old the others are 3 and the ones that are dying are not even a year and no i have not treated them i was thinking about it tho

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

It would be a good idea to run a course of Corid. Any time you have mixed ages with younger or new birds coming in the risk of coccidiosis is high.

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

The first thing I would do is start them on Corid right away! ASAP......

Next, when was the last time your chickens were wormed? Do you change feeds when winter comes?

6. WalleyWaller

WalleyWaller Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2013
    Aiken, SC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by