Sick chickens, HELP!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hooker, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Hooker

Hooker New Egg

Mar 2, 2014
    Plainview,AR
    We have lost 2 chickens so far and a 3rd is going down quickly. They start off by being lethargic just not waning to move at all, then they get a bad limp looking walk when you do make they move. After about a day or two like that they just die. There is nothing out of character as far as the physical looks of the chickens. What could it be and how can I save the rest of my chickens?

2. lilwhitechick

lilwhitechick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2014
    If they are not eating or drinking, put their beak in water. is it hot or cold where you live? if it is cold, turn on a heater and if it is hot, turn on a fan and keep them hydrated. Keep them eating bu crushing up their food. Good luck!!

3. Hooker

Hooker New Egg

Mar 2, 2014
    Plainview,AR
    It has been cold for us here in AR, but we have kept heat lamps in the coop. And you can't get them to eat or drink either, we have put their breaks in the water but no success. Thanks

4. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    If you lose the third, consider having a necropsy done as it is one of the best things you can do to try to get better answers.

What age are the birds? Have any changes been made in feed, watering, etc? Have you introduced any new birds in the last year? Have they been vaccinated against anything? What is their daily feed, and do you free range them at all?

5. Hooker

Hooker New Egg

Mar 2, 2014
    Plainview,AR
    They are 10 months and there have been no new birds added to the flock, also no changes to anything. They do not free range yet cause of the weather has been to cold. They eat 16% protein pellets, all they can eat. They get five gallons of water a day but don't drink all of it, but most of it is drank. Have not been vac. but started antibiotics in their water when the first one got sick.

6. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    Hmm...
    Have they ever been outside? Did you build the coop for them new or was it used by chickens before at any point?
    Sorry for all the questions. I'm trying to figure out what might be happening here.

Other than being lethargic and developing a limp, have you noticed any other symptoms at all? Do they seem to have a hard time using their legs? Any additional symptoms might be subtle.

7. Hooker

Hooker New Egg

Mar 2, 2014
    Plainview,AR
    All they have ever been in is their coop which we built when they were just chicks. Once they have their limp for a day or so they start acting like its hard for them to move. But not sure if it is or if they just don't want to move. There is nothing else that can be seen wrong with them though

8. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    It sounds like their exposure to disease has been extremely low. May I ask where you got them from?
    What are you feeding them, specifically? Is there any chance it is expired, or has mold in it? The mold might not be visible.

9. Hooker

Hooker New Egg

Mar 2, 2014
    Plainview,AR
    The chickens were hatched form my Granny's chicken eggs that she has. She does this very frequently. The feed is something Ranch, we get it at Atwoods and I would not think there should be any mold we buy, open, and pour feed into a barrel with a tight lid. Some of the other chickens from the same hatch are doing great and eating the same brand feed, which is done the same as ours. Them chickens are at the maw-in-laws about 4 miles down the road from me. My chickens are drinking well water not sure if that could be it or not, but they have always drank the well water and just started getting sick a week and half ago, also I drink the well water. Thanks for your continued help in trying to figure out what this could be, my 2 boys are not liking their chickens being sick and dieing.

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    There have been some issues with heat lamps in the last few years. Some have a teflon coating and can give off toxic fumes that can kill a chicken. Are your heat lamp bulbs specifically for chickens? Also, how long has it been since the deaths started and the time between them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by