1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sick chickens, losing weight not eating?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wonachickencooptoday, Oct 22, 2013.

1. wonachickencooptoday

wonachickencooptoday Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2010
    So I have had one die, now two more sick in the last couple of months. These are older, non laying birds- about 4ish. What happens is they stop eating, lose weight, poopy butts and eventually die. Wonder if this is preventable- worms??? I am not deworming - have not seen worms?? Any thoughts?? Thank you.

2. 2redhens

2redhens New Egg

Feb 2, 2012
    Did you ever get this resolved? I see it's an old post but I'm having the same problem.

3. wonachickencooptoday

Dec 22, 2010
    Hi 2redhens,
    New post, just posted it 30 minutes ago. No replies yet.

4. orange tomato

orange tomato Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2008
    I thought worms too. Sometimes you can see the worms in the feces. Also mites can suck too much blood and get the chickens weak. I am not an expert, but I have only had this problem once.
    I had to be out of town for a month and I am not sure that my chickens were properly cared for, eg fresh clean water everyday. I lost one, but saved the other with a good cleaning of the coop and then kept the other weak one in a separate area in the pen (I have a partitioned area in case one gets sick, or when my hens hatch babies and they move there). The weak one recovered with antibiotics and fresh water in clean bowls. I also gave it some wormer (but careful not to give too heavy a dose). I also put some antibiotic in the fresh water in the main pen so that my other chickens would not get sick. All that worked.

5. orange tomato

orange tomato Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2008
    One more thing: You said they are older non-laying birds, about 4 years old.
    I have some 6 year old hens that still lay, but not everyday anymore, more like every 2 or 3 days. Often when hens stop laying, it is a sign of an illness.
    Have you introduced any new birds to your flock? If so, even though the new birds look healthy, they may be immune to a disease that your birds are not immuned too.

I wish you all the best in solving the problem.

6. wonachickencooptoday

Dec 22, 2010
    thank you orange tomato!!!!!!!!! I just used Safeguard, tiny amount for each of the sick birds. Will see how each of them is doing tomorrow . Then may dust for mites!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by