sick chickens, losing weight not eating?

wonachickencooptoday

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 22, 2010
So I have had one die, now two more sick in the last couple of months. These are older, non laying birds- about 4ish. What happens is they stop eating, lose weight, poopy butts and eventually die. Wonder if this is preventable- worms??? I am not deworming - have not seen worms?? Any thoughts?? Thank you.

I thought worms too. Sometimes you can see the worms in the feces. Also mites can suck too much blood and get the chickens weak. I am not an expert, but I have only had this problem once.
I had to be out of town for a month and I am not sure that my chickens were properly cared for, eg fresh clean water everyday. I lost one, but saved the other with a good cleaning of the coop and then kept the other weak one in a separate area in the pen (I have a partitioned area in case one gets sick, or when my hens hatch babies and they move there). The weak one recovered with antibiotics and fresh water in clean bowls. I also gave it some wormer (but careful not to give too heavy a dose). I also put some antibiotic in the fresh water in the main pen so that my other chickens would not get sick. All that worked.

One more thing: You said they are older non-laying birds, about 4 years old.
I have some 6 year old hens that still lay, but not everyday anymore, more like every 2 or 3 days. Often when hens stop laying, it is a sign of an illness.
Have you introduced any new birds to your flock? If so, even though the new birds look healthy, they may be immune to a disease that your birds are not immuned too.

I wish you all the best in solving the problem.

thank you orange tomato!!!!!!!!! I just used Safeguard, tiny amount for each of the sick birds. Will see how each of them is doing tomorrow . Then may dust for mites!

Back
Top Bottom