Sick Chickens PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by faithbeard, Apr 16, 2017.

1. faithbeard

faithbeard New Egg

Feb 26, 2016
    i have recently gotten into chickens and bought about 8 hens they have a nice big coop and fresh water and food everyday! i completely clean the coop out twice a week and get poop out everyday when i change the water and food. Recently my silver laced wydotte passed away. Now one of my cuckoo moran and copper morans are sick with crusty face, warm crowns and they are coughing up mucus, runny stools and their breathing sounds very raspy .. i'm not sure if it's coccidiosis or a respitor thing also if it was either of those i still don't know what to do, i really don't want to loose these hens .. Could someone please tell me if there is anything i can do to save them and the rest of them in the coop .. i have already separated the two that i know for sure are sick and cleaned the coop out that all the other hens are in. Please help

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC.
    I am sorry that your birds are ailing. The symptoms you are seeing are not those of coccidiosis - they are, though, indicative of some form of respiratory illness. When you say their faces are crusty - is the crust mostly around the eyes or around the nares (nostrils)? What color is the crust? What is the color and consistency of the mucous being expelled with coughing? How many days have they been showing symptoms? How recently did you take possession of the bird and were they all from the same source?

1 person likes this.
  3. faithbeard

faithbeard New Egg

Feb 26, 2016
    The crust in around their eyes and nostrils the color is a pale yellow and the color of the mucus is clear and the consistency is thick like snot. The two that i pulled from the coop have been showing these symptoms for 2 days and all of a sudden today (the second day) i went out to feed and clean the coop and i realized it was pretty bad:(( i have had all of them for about two weeks now we got 3 hens from a family friend and the other 8 from another friend and my hen that passed we got from a lady offline .. But the ones i pulled today one of them were from the 3 we got from a family friend and the other that is really sick from a friend we got the other 8 from. i'm thinking the one we got from the lady offline was ill and passed it on to the others. I got recommended some chicken started antibiotic feed and i've been giving that to them for about a week and i'm not seeing a deference. Please help i don't know what to do or what i should give them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by