Sick chickens?? please Help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MrOrpington16, Nov 15, 2013.

1. MrOrpington16

MrOrpington16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2013
    MA
    I went outside last night and say that one of my pullets was wheezing / making a weird noise... She was totally fine that morning and now she has a runny nose... I looked more closely at another hen and she has a runny nose too!! I am a new chicken owner and did not think that a disease come so quickly ... They are still eating like pigs and I think that she is drinking.... Please help!! Thankyou!!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Respiratory diseases can be chronic and carried from one farm to another, or rather you can buy perfectly healthy-looking chickens who can bring in diseases like mycoplasma, infectious bronchitis, and coryza. These diseases can also be brought in by wild birds, or on your shoes and clothes from visiting a swap or feedstore. Watch for increasing symptoms of sneeze/cough, eye bubbles and crusty drainage, and eye or face swelling. Some people chose to cull sick birds, but if you keep them they should be treated with antibiotics. Tylan 50 injection, oxytetracycline, and erythromycin are some of the drugs used. Here is a list of diseases including those above to read about: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. MrOrpington16

MrOrpington16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2013
    MA
    Thank you so much for your quick response!! She is totally fine this morning... She probably had something in her Throat and had to work it out lol;) She is such a little bugger;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by