Sick Chickens (Respitory)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fatandhappy, Oct 22, 2013.

1. fatandhappy

fatandhappy New Egg

Apr 15, 2013
    I have had chickens all my life, but have never had any of them get sick. It started with one and has spread to most of the others before I could do much to resolve the issue. They are sneezing, have mucus coming out from their nose holes, and seem to make a wheezy rattling sound when they are still and sleeping. The first one that got sick seems to be mostly better and one rooster who had a swollen face from it seems to be feeling better today. The other rooster, who was fine yesterday, really seems to be taking it hard today. The other ones didn't seem to be slowed down too much by it, though I could tell they didn't feel good. They still ate and drank just fine and run around the yard. This guy didn't even want to come out of the coop. I inspected his mouth and he has very thick mucus in there and is breathing primarily through his mouth. I was wondering if there was anything I could give him, like benedryl, to make him more comfortable. I think it is probably a virus, since the other chickens appear to be recovering from it. He's a Cuckoo Maran if that makes any difference?

Any Suggestions?

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Sometimes rubbing some Vet Rx on the beak helps with the breathing, it can also be mixed with a little water and given to the bird with a needless syringe or eyedropper. It helps cut the mucous.

I would however start this bird and any others with rattly breathing on antibiotic's such as Tylan 50. Some of these bugs are viral, some bacterial, but even the viral ones can quickly turn into pneumonia and secondary bacterial infections that can kill the birds.

Tylan is best injected but can also be given orally if your not up to injecting.

3. fatandhappy

fatandhappy New Egg

Apr 15, 2013
    Thanks for your response! Are these things I can get from a place like tractor supply or will I need to contact a veterinarian? I guess I could go put my google skills to good use, huh? My husband is a paramedic, so if there is any needle poking to be done, I'm going to make him do it!!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    You should be able to find some VetRx at Tractor Supply or another farm supply store. Tylan should be at Tractor Supply too, but check other farm supply stores (like Farm & Fleet) if you can't find it there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by