Sick chickens! what is this?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SkyBluEggs, Dec 9, 2014.

1. SkyBluEggs

SkyBluEggs New Egg

Oct 1, 2014
    Kyle Texas
    I have never had a sick chicken, at least not until 2 mos. Ago when I bought 12 chicks and a thrown in young rooster. I believe the birds I bought have brought illness to my whole flock. My Leghorn roo looks like he's got the pox on his comb and also have seen it in another but it went away. All of my faithful layers stopped. A few older birds started sneezing shortly after bringing the new birds home. My laying flock freeranges and the others were kept penned seperate for a month. Shortly after mixing the new roo in and allowing him to free range as well it seems he has passed on something to the youngsters I bought. I lost one baby early on. Then another last week and one today and one yesterday. Also lost a week old creamed legbar today. All same symptoms. Weak poor coordination reduced eating drinking loss of weight runny poo looks like water with white goo. Drooped wings puffed feathers and eventually swollen eyes and death. Do I need to kill my whole flock?

2. spitfirecream15

spitfirecream15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2014
    In the Boondocks
    I'm sorry about that. It sounds fatal. You might have to end up culling the whole flock. How many chickens do you have, including the new ones? Has this been going on for 2 months? Do you have tiny chicks, or pullets, or full grown hens? Are they all Leghorns? Oh and how old is the rooster? If it were my flock I would probably have to cull and then disinfect the whole living area, and allow at least 6 months before bringing in any new birds. Make sure you contact the people you got the rooster from and let them know what happened. Did you get the rooster and the chicks from separate places? So sorry this happened.

3. SkyBluEggs

SkyBluEggs New Egg

Oct 1, 2014
    Kyle Texas
    I had 2 barred rock hens one Leghorn hen and roo. One red sexlink hen olive egged hen. All 1-2 yrs except red sexlink not yet laying and Leghorn roo, who is son of the Leghorn hen. 8Wks ago bought 12day olds as follows- 3 SL Wyandotte pullet &1 cockerel. 1 light Brahma pullet. 3 wild type hatchery "ameraucana " pullets & 1 cockerel.
    2 wheaten ameraucana one pullet one cockerel . That leaves 1 who died at 2wks right after their first dustbath. The Guy I got them from threw in a black ameraucana xchoc marans young roo. 5 mos?? Roo was "isolated" but the flock was curious and went right up to his pen fence and I believe the roo to be the culprit because of everyone he is the only one who hasn't shown any ailments. Meaning he's immune but carrying. my chickens and yard have always been healthy until this.

4. SkyBluEggs

SkyBluEggs New Egg

Oct 1, 2014
    Kyle Texas
    Also. Have seen both black gooey stool and green runny stool on the ground but don't know quick one (s) they are from... sounds like at this point it doesn't matter, I was thinking the same thing but didn't wanna jump the gun if its cureable. Does this sound like mareks? Eitherway I'm culling all and will start and maintain my next flock from my own incubators from now on. Really sucks because I hate storebought eggs.

5. spitfirecream15

spitfirecream15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2014
    In the Boondocks
    that it really sad. it does sound like mareks, although it could be coccidiosis. make sure you notify the guy you got the chickens from.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by