Sick Chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by stephbr, Nov 9, 2015.

1. stephbr

stephbr New Egg

Nov 9, 2015
    Thank you for adding me. Two weeks ago I noticed a 4 month old pullets with her eye swollen shut and very infected. I quarantined her and started her on tetracycline. You could hear her breathing very raspy. She died two days later..both eyes were swollen shut by this time. Then another one died. .same thing... now I have two more sick so I gave them shots of antibiotics...I've read everything I can bit still not 100% sure what is going on. I've raised chickens fit several years now and never had anything like this happen. Any ideas? ??

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

I'm sorry to hear you have lost 2 of your flock members :hugs It's always very sad when flock members are lost. It sounds like a resp infection is spreading through your flock. I would treat all your flock as something like this easily spreads through them all and that is the most probable cause of your sick birds now. You can also drop by the emergencies injuries disease and cure section ~https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures
    I'm sure members there will be able to advise you more.

Wishing you the very best of luck :fl

1 person likes this.
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Is it at all possible to bring one of the sick birds to a vet? If you knew exactly what was wrong with them - a different antibiotic might make a world of difference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by