Sick chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pixiedust13, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Pixiedust13

Pixiedust13 Just Hatched

Feb 2, 2016
    Help ?
    I have 2 sick meat chickens sounds like respitary bad u can hear them breath from 10 feet away . My husband left those two out by accident and it rained must of gotten wet . Not sure if that's why there sick or something else , there very lathergic and have a fever . I gave them tetracycline in there water not sure if that will help now. Any one exsperianced this before this before ? And now every one in the coop are also on medicated water . [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Respiratory symptoms can be caused by fungus, viruses, or bacteria. Only bacterial infections can respond to antibiotics, and they need to be specific for the organism. I would not needlessly treat the birds who haven't shown symptoms yet. Since antibiotics remain in their bodies for a few weeks, you cannot use their meat for a t least 3 weeks. Personally, unless these are very young and far from slaughter age, I would skip the antibiotics, and separate the two sick ones. They may perk up getting warm and dry. Keep good air circulation and a fan in the coop to limit high daytime temperatures.

3. Pixiedust13

Pixiedust13 Just Hatched

Feb 2, 2016
    Thank you for the feedback , I did separate them , I noticed that they had the runs , so I
    Cleaned the coop to see if any one else has it too this morning . .[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by