Sick Chickens

PreciousFeather

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 3, 2016
Pure Michigan
We are at the fair with my daughters very first Pullet. She's been here for 4 days. There are several sick chickens here that we personally spotted this morning. The sick chickens are still here this afternoon. Should we go against the "rules" set by the fair and take our chicken home tonight? Can we even "SAFELY" bring our chicken home to our flock? This is my daughters first year in 4H- this will devastate her if her chicken/s die! Sadly, we will never do this again! Plz help ASAP!!!!! Just heard it's likely that it's not contagious, or that they got too hot, I want to add that we love this fair, it's extraordinarily clean and run by genuine animal lovers who take utmost care of animals! They are addressing the issue as I type. I just want to be secure my child's trust that I will do whatever needed to take care of her pet, not farm animal!

Last edited:
Greetings from Kansas, PreciousFeather, and :welcome. Pleased you joined our community! Wow...that's a tough predicament. I would certainly go against the rules if the health of my bird and ultimately my flock were at risk. You really need to quarantine the one you take home from the fair so if it happens to catch whatever the others had, it doesn't sweep the rest of your flock. Best of luck to you!

Hi and welcome to BYC! I'm sorry-- that's such a frustrating situation. I agree with Redsoxs, I would go ahead and bring the chicken home tonight and then quarantine them. Best of luck to you and thanks for joining us!
smile.png

Thank you for the article. What a stinkin' bummer! We are taking our beloved chicken home tonight to quarantine. Do you think being all alone will be a problem for our Buff puller? She was our only chick at the fair.... Although I'm certain my daughter did chores in the same boots she wore to the fair. UGGGHHHH..???.??.

I would advise not taking the chicken home. There was a problem with sick chickens at the St Clare County Fair here in Michigan last month. Vets came in and tested the chickens and they all had to be put down. Can't remember exactly what it was but it was very contagious and removing them to take them home would have not only jeopardized the flocks at home but also neighboring farms. Better to lose 1 chicken than many.

Sorry.... it wasn't the St Clare County Fair it was the Sanilac County Fair. Article following

thetimesherald.com/story/news/local/2016/08/26/virus-hits-sanilac-fair-vets-euthanize-100-chickens/89396684/

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

How close was she to the sick chickens? If she was very close, I wouldn't recommend taking her home. If she was a reasonable distance away, take her home but do a long and thorough quaratine.

Back
Top Bottom