Sick chickens?

kinsiebrooke

Chirping
Jul 31, 2015
We have a flock of 20 chickens and 2 days ago found nasty, scan-like growths on their beaks. Some also have crusty combs, wattles, and earlobes. At first we thought canker? But I don't have any experience and don't want to treat them for something they don't have. Here are a few pictures of the sores. Could it be canker? Or??

Last edited:
Looks to me like fowl pox. I had to treat my flock for it last year, but I will have to look up treatment because I can't remember. I do remember putting a capful of bleach in the water. Seemed odd to me, but it worked. I'll look it up later & get back with you if no one else has. Got to go to work now.

Looks to me like fowl pox. I had to treat my flock for it last year, but I will have to look up treatment because I can't remember. I do remember putting a capful of bleach in the water. Seemed odd to me, but it worked. I'll look it up later & get back with you if no one else has. Got to go to work now.

Thank you!

They can. On the bright side, mine had it early spring last year, they have not had it since. They did not develop the Wet Pox. All appeared as scabs on their combs, waddles and I do have a CCL mix hen who got it on her eye. She is now blind in that eye.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. My internet, phone & cable have been acting up something fierce for 2 weeks now. Time Warner Cable Stinks! Good news is they have promised to come out today and fix. Bad news is this is the 4th time they have "promised" and have not shown for the other 3! Vent session over, again, apologies. :)

Just throwing another possibility out there; may be fusariotoxicosis. A fungal infection spread via contaminated soil/grain/water dishes/hay. Symptoms include brown or white lumpy warts on un feathered ares of the birds (comb/beak/mouth). The mold is usually grown in cool and damp conditions. It is commonly found on corn, barley, millet, oats, rye, sorghum, safflower seed and wheat. Contaminated grain looks identical to non contaminated unless observed under a microscope. Severe conditions can lead to difficulty breathing due to clogged throat. The solution is to disinfect the coop and maybe replace brand of grain, never let birds eat wet grain. Then again it could be wet pox as Outpost JWB stated. The only way you may be able to tell them apart without microscopic examination/ a visit to the vet is to stretch out the birds wings, severe fusariotoxicosis will make the feathers ragged, a mild case won't make the feathers untidy until it progresses to infect the bird.

Fusariotoxicosis:

Wet pox (inside mouth):

I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom