Sick chickens

Jones0110

In the Brooder
Jun 26, 2019
So within the last few days I've had a few of my chickens get sick. I know at least 2 had respiratory infection and I have been giving vet Rx now this one in the picture doesn't have any respiratory symptoms. Yesterday I found her just laying down in the corner of the pen and the other chickens standing around her. I seperated her last night but as you can see she's no better..any thoughts? Tips for making sure my flock stays healthy ! First time in the two years I've had my chickens this has happened. We live in Florida and it has been extremely hot ( yesterday heat index got to 115) and thunderstorms in the afternoons so it's been pretty muggy.

Attachments

• IMG_20190816_082834_01.jpg
    IMG_20190816_082834_01.jpg
    428.1 KB · Views: 9
  • MVIMG_20190816_085321.jpg
    MVIMG_20190816_085321.jpg
    662 KB · Views: 7
We can determine from the photo that this chicken is quite sick, but it can't tell us why.

You need to examine her and look at her poop to begin to assemble some clues. Start with the crop. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Is her poop runny and can you see any blood in it? This could point to coccidiosis. Treatment with Corid might be a good place to start.

Try to recall where she been and what she was doing before you noticed her being sick. Any compost piles around? How about scummy rain puddles?

Does she have any swelling of the face? Bubbly eyes? Sneezing?

I would try to get some fluids and electrolytes with a bit of sugar for an energy boost into her on the chance she's suffering from heat sickness.

Have you had any respiratory infection in the past? Do you have neighbors with poultry, or have there been a lot of migrating birds nearby? Respiratory diseases can be spread by carriers or even by us on clothing, shoes etc. if we have been around other chickens. The symptoms can be important in determining if you are dealing with infectious bronchitis or MG, or something worse. Do you see any bubbles in eyes, sneezing, swelling in the face, crackles when breathing?

So within the last few days I've had a few of my chickens get sick. I know at least 2 had respiratory infection and I have been giving vet Rx now this one in the picture doesn't have any respiratory symptoms. Yesterday I found her just laying down in the corner of the pen and the other chickens standing around her. I seperated her last night but as you can see she's no better..any thoughts? Tips for making sure my flock stays healthy ! First time in the two years I've had my chickens this has happened. We live in Florida and it has been extremely hot ( yesterday heat index got to 115) and thunderstorms in the afternoons so it's been pretty muggy.
I just went through this with one of my girls. I found her laying alone in the pen, very lethargic, didn't resist when I picked her up. I first soaked her in warm water and epsom salt. After ruling out egg binding, determine if her crop is sour/impacted. She may have eaten something that is clogging her up. Feel the crop. Hard, full, mushy? My girls crop was full and firm. Separated mine and gave her coconut oil in her water. Withheld food overnight then checked her crop in the morning. It should be empty. Mine was still hard, about the size of a ping pong ball. Fed her layer pellets and continued with the coconut oil in her water, massaged her crop throughout the day. She started pooping what at I believe to be pieces of the pool noodle I covered her perch with. Kept on with the water and coconut oil, kept massaging her crop. Continued this for 4 days. Don't give up. At one point I thought for sure she was going to die but this morning, I returned her to the flock.

Here is a good reference for common illnesses, and that includes articles about symptoms and treatments for mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG, CRD,) infectious bronchitis, infectious coryza, and ILT (infectious larygo tracheitis:)
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

IB and ILT are viruses that will not respond to antibiotics.
MG is treated with some antibiotics such as Tylan or doxycycline, and coryza is better treated with sulfa antibiotics.

I had a similar experience with my 3.5 yo Olive ether. After a few days of lethargy and pale comb, she deteriorated quickly and died. We had given her electrolytes, probiotics, oatmeal with coconut oil and garlic. The fluids seems to help a little but this morning sh was significant worse. We went to buy antibiotics and right when we got home she was gurgling and passed. This was her yesterday (if video attached). We are bleaching everything and emptying the coop. We won’t be able to get necropsy because of the office hours. What else do we need to do to protect the flock from this unknown respiratory illness? TIA

I had a similar experience with my 3.5 yo Olive ether. After a few days of lethargy and pale comb, she deteriorated quickly and died. We had given her electrolytes, probiotics, oatmeal with coconut oil and garlic. The fluids seems to help a little but this morning sh was significant worse. We went to buy antibiotics and right when we got home she was gurgling and passed. This was her yesterday (if video attached). We are bleaching everything and emptying the coop. We won’t be able to get necropsy because of the office hours. What else do we need to do to protect the flock from this unknown respiratory illness? TIA
Sorry for your loss. If you can refrigerate the body in a couple of garbage bags until Monday morning, you can take or send the body overnight to your state poultry vet. Call them and if you have to ship, ask for a shipping label which may cost less. Where are you located? Here is a list of state poultry vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

I am at a loss. My girl is back down again-4th time! I had her fixed up and returned to the flock and last evening she was isolated and down. I just don't know what is wrong with her. She seemed to have recovered and was out there ranging with the others since I put her back out last Friday morning. 1 week later she's back down.

Back
Top Bottom