Sick chickens

Bunnyluvsxhickens

In the Brooder
Sep 21, 2021
So I’m new to chickens and for my first flock we did great bu we have this new flock and hey are getting what looks like an upper respiratory infection we have been using Vet RX but what else can we do we have lost a few birds already and now our older birds not even mixed with this flock are showing some same symptoms. I have corid here it says it will help with upper respiratory is this true? We are in a very small town with no big feed store so welcome any help!

No Corid is only for treatment of coccidiosis, not for respiratory diseases. Have you added already started chickens to your flock? That is a way that a disease may be introduced unwittingly, if they have been exposed in their previous flock. Diseases are easily spread from one flock to another, on hands and shoes, and equipment. Wash your hands between flocks, and change shoes.

What symptoms have you seen? Bubbles or foam in eyes, swollen eyelids and pus, nasal drainage, gaping, head shaking, sneeze or cough, or wheezing could be possible symptoms. Is there any bad odor from their faces? If you lose another, keep the body cold, not frozen, and consider sending it in to the state vet for a necropsy. Soorry for your loss.

No Corid is only for treatment of coccidiosis, not for respiratory diseases. Have you added already started chickens to your flock? That is a way that a disease may be introduced unwittingly, if they have been exposed in their previous flock. Diseases are easily spread from one flock to another, on hands and shoes, and equipment. Wash your hands between flocks, and change shoes.

What symptoms have you seen? Bubbles or foam in eyes, swollen eyelids and pus, nasal drainage, gaping, head shaking, sneeze or cough, or wheezing could be possible symptoms. Is there any bad odor from their faces? If you lose another, keep the body cold, not frozen, and consider sending it in to the state vet for a necropsy.
There eyes are swelling with gunk, there’s gunk in their nostrils, they are sneezing, yes we run a small hobby farm so I’m sure we did this unknowingly we probably tracked it through with our clothes and shoes☹️ He gunk from their nose smells like sickness if that makes sense

Vet rx is about as useful as Vicks. I would skip it and get a necropsy done with testing on one of the sick birds. The bad odor and gunky eyes and nostrils sound more like coryza. Coryza is treated with sulfadimethoxine or smz-tmp (bactrim). I would personally cull birds with known coryza or symptoms. That is your decision, but if they have MG, you might be able to treat them and keep a closed flock. Try to get testing or a necropsy to know what you are dealing with.

Back
Top Bottom