1. upperadamschickens

upperadamschickens New Egg

May 16, 2010
    It started with just one, but seems to have spread through the other 4 - they are making sounds like a cough or sneeze, lethargy, eyes closed often and slightly smaller, poor appetite (they did really like the yogurt this morning). We checked for sour crop and didn't feel a lump, I checked for mites and didn't see any at all -- any ideas out there? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They probably have contracted CRD/mycoplasmosis from somewhere. Are they new to you? Did you just buy them or bring in other birds? I can't tell you what to do. If I ever hear a chicken cough, it will be euthanized. I don't mess around with respiratory disease, period. Most leave them carriers, Typhoid Marys, able to spread disease to others, even when they are asymptomatic.

3. upperadamschickens

upperadamschickens New Egg

May 16, 2010
    Just wanted to share the good news that our sick chickens seem to have recovered - the first one ill is back with the flock and doing fine! Other than getting picked on a little like she's a new chicken she seems totally well. Don't know if it was just time or the antibiotic that they have all been receiving for 8 days now. The oldest hen is still sick and isolated, but even she seems slightly better. We'll keep the antibiotic flowing for another week - 14 days total. Then hopefully all will be well. Then we have to wait awhile before we can start eating the eggs again--any ideas about how long before the antibiotic will be out of their system?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by