Sick Chickens

grandma Teddie

Hatching
9 Years
Apr 13, 2010
Hello, I have lost three chickens and have another who is sick. Their wings droop, one of the hens kept lifting her legs real high and they looked rought..any ideas?

My first thought with a droopy wing, and the wet weather we have had here makes me think of botulism. Where are you located and what is your weather like? Here is a thread on botulism, with pictures.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=219553

We really need more information. Can you answer these questions ...
Give us the following information. The more you tell us, the better we will be able to help you.

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
11) Describe the housing in use. How many bird in what size of area.
12) What kind of bedding do you use?
13) Have you wormed your bird lately?
14) Have you checked your bird over for lice and/or mites?
15) Lift your bird, hold it. Does it feel heavy or light weight?

"Freddy" is a bantum rooster about 5 years old. I noticed he was looking different 2 days ago. He runs loose in a fenced yard. I live in Idaho and it has been cold, windy and rainy. I have lost 2 other chickens, they were older and I thought it was from age and cold weather. He moves around the yard a little but has fluffy feathers and his wings droop. His bottom is a little messy but not a lot, no congestion, eyes look clear and he doesn't h seem to thin..I called my vet and they don't do Chickens. They refered me to the hatchery and he recommended iramysin..not spelled right. I have put it in his, their, drinking water. Also soaked some french bread in the water and feed him some. I have not wormed my chickens but did powder Fred down yesterday, could'nt find anything on him. I have 2 other hens and 2 guenne fowl (sorry about the spelling) I have also soaked some bread in the medicated water for them..any thing else I should do? How many times a day should I feed the chickens the bread soaked in the medication? Don't want to over do it. Thanks so much for you help. Teddie Edwards

Fred is alert this morning. I haven't noticed his eating any food yet or drinking so will go back to the bread soaked in the medicated water. It's cold windy and rainy here again today and for the rest of the week. thanks for the thread, I did read it. I also have a lot of garlic growing in my yard..I read that it my be poisoness to chickens...didn't know that, but my chickens have been around it for years. I have tried to get rid of it but is most persistant! Thanks again for your input. Teddie

Freddy seems about the same except now his poo smells bad. I'm still feeding him bread soaked in his treated water..I don't notice him eating..any more ideas out there?

Back
Top Bottom