Sick Chickens

Beavercreek

Hatching
9 Years
Jan 8, 2011
I bought 20 hens from guy. Most of the birds are young and healthy. A few are sneezing, there is one that is being very still and sleeping alot, one has swollen and water eyes. I know these are respitory sicknesses. Any advice

antibiotics and a good multi vitamin. Chances are the whole flock are infected or carriers, so it's best to treat them all. Try and keep them warm and comfortable just like you would do for yourself if you had a cold. After a course of antibiotics, they should be fine. also, keep stress levels down. don't aggitate them or make any big changes now. the move was enough stress.

Quote:
Are these your only chickens? If they are not, and you have an original flock, i hope very much that they have not been together.

Most respiratory illness in chickens is such that causes the chicken to be contagious for life, even if you are able to quell the symptoms with antibiotics, etc.

If it were me, i would have to make the difficult decision to put down any birds showing symptoms and to quarantine the the rest of the new birds for about 8 weeks to see if i could be convinced that they are healthy.

If you choose to keep them, please keep a completely closed flock......no new birds, no selling or giving away any birds, no free ranging where they could come into contact with other birds.

I'm very sorry that you're having this trouble.

Back
Top Bottom