1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sick chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by traybo, Jun 20, 2011.

1. traybo

traybo Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    I have a few chickens tha have bubbles in there eyes and a few look a little puffy around there eyse.. one tht has a swollen jaw and when you push on the swollen part and open her mouth it almost looks like a cheesy sore but dont stink.. The first sickness i noticed was in one of my hens she had bubbles in her eye other than that she felt fine, so we pulled her out and isolated her from the others and give her duramyin the bubbles went a way but i could not put her back in with the others due to the withdrawl period onthe eggs. inthe mean time my rooster started it, so i pulled him out but messed up and put with her(stupid I know) but continued to give both duramycin 10. well the rooster got better so we put him back and still had to keep her do to the eggs.. she then started getting it agian but this time she was alittle puffy around her eyes and when i say puffy it is just very little.. so I went and looked at my flock and a few others had bubbles in there eyes and some have slighty puffy eyes and one has a swollen cheek and a few bubbles, she is the one that when i push on the swollen part it looks like a cheesy sore inside her mouth.. ok so i the started researchering and thought they had coryza so i treated my whole flock with sulmet and went ahead and wormed them with wazine which was good because some had round worms.. I have brought new hens into my flock and im guessing i got some sick ones.. however the bubbles inthe eyes started a few months ago but i never thought anything of it til i started reserching.. ok so now they are all done with the sulmet and wazine .. and still have symptoms so i am going to do the duramycin since it seemed to work on the others.. my questions is what is wrong with them? what do they have and how do I treat it.. i dont wont to keep giving them meds without knowing if its rite for what they have... again they all act fine , they eat drink run around but there egg production has almost stopped.. however i have been working on there hen house to better it for them.. they dont sneeze, no trouble breathing other than the swollen cheek one it is just that she breaths with her mouth open .. they run around act great eat like they are starving and cant get enough.....ok so anyadvice would be great.. please help me!! and thank you for reading all this..

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I don't know enough about respiratory diseases to make an educated guess, but I don't think you will know for sure without having some testing done.

3. traybo

traybo Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    ok thank you for replying.......[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by