Sick chickens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kuntrygirl70, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Kuntrygirl70

Kuntrygirl70 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    Does anyone know of a home cure for some sort of sickness that about 5 or so chickens have? They r kinda breathing heavy,sounds like they r snoring, doing a little sneezing and not laying eggs? Sounds like a human cold but im not sure. Is there something I can put in their water to help them get better? Thanks

2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    chickens don't get colds, probably a respiratory infections. are these birds that were recently purchased? existing? are they your only birds?

3. Kuntrygirl70

Jun 22, 2011
    No they r about 3, we do have 5 meat chickens mixed in with them and a turkey, the meat chix and the turkey r about 10 weeks old, so no one is all that small

4. FaereChicken

FaereChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    N. Central Maryland
    Curiously, I just noticed mine doing the same, though no sneezing. Could it be heat-related/

5. Kuntrygirl70

Jun 22, 2011
    Im not sure if its heat related, our chix r for the most part r all natural, I didnt want to give them an antibiotic but I heard they can die from respitory problems. I just went to our local Tractor supply store and got some Duramycin to put in their water. We will c!

6. hvl25

hvl25 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    my husband is out buying some right now. Last night 2 chickens out of 8 had watery eye, now 4 of them do. Ugh!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by