Sick Chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jeza, Feb 8, 2012.

1. jeza

jeza New Egg

Feb 8, 2012
    Can someone please help,
    October last year I had a sick chicken she was egg bound, I tryed the warm bath and other home remidies but she was still ill so we went to the vets and she had an injection of antibiotics followed by oral medications.
    A month later another one of my chickens had the same symptoms, fluffed up, very weak, trying to push out an egg with no success. so another vet visit it was.(both chickens made a full recovery)
    I have noticed soft shell eggs over the passed couple of months so I have introduced natural yoghurt every morning. and shell grit which they dont like!!!!!
    There diets include golden yolk pellets, fresh greens everyday lettuce and silverbeet, corn, bread and even meal worms to spoil them.
    So yesterday I found another one of my chickens fluffed up on the bottom of her house, so I used vasline and a glove to see if she was egg bound and she was, soft egg shell I think but broke inside her.
    worried all night but she has returned to eating this morning and looks happy again.
    So can someone please help me what am I doing wrong???? why have 3 out of my 4 hens become sick with the same symtoms.
    With the other 2 vet visits, vet said that they were under weight, not sure how when they have allot of food??
    Any advice on what to do would be very appreciated Jeza

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    I'm not familiar with golden yolk pellets... I use Layena layer pellets and MAYBE 1-2 times a week they get treats, but no more. You may be giving too many other things. Layer pellets should include what they NEED so you don't want them to eat less of that because they're getting so many treats! Good luck!

3. jeza

jeza New Egg

Feb 8, 2012
    Thanks for your advice, maybe your spot on, I do give them a wide variety of food maybe way to much.
    So I will eliminate the treats and see what happens
    Regards Jeza

4. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Let me know what happens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by