1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick Chickens!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by swmatrixman, Aug 5, 2013.

1. swmatrixman

swmatrixman New Egg

May 28, 2013
    I started keeping chickens in my back yard. Fully enclosed coop and run with about 64 sq. foot of room. Most of the information came from this wonderful site! I only had six pullets ranging from 16-18 weeks old now for pets and eggs. Last week one of the younger ones just dropped over dead. Another one couldn't walk well and looked like she had somehow broken a wing. Then she just laid down and couldn't get up so unfortunately I had to put her down. Now I notice that one of the chicken's wattle is swollen and looks like testicles. But she seems alert, eating well and otherwise looks ok to me. The other chickens don't seem to have anything wrong with them. They actually seem quite healthy except for the one with the enlarged wattle and I am not sure that is a problem? So I am concerned that they may have something that is presenting itself differently in each of the chickens.

Here is a picture. What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

Thanks for your help!

2. Chicks and Hens

Chicks and Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2013
    With my chickens
    whoa that is swollen! I have never seen that before!

3. swmatrixman

swmatrixman New Egg

May 28, 2013
    Yeah, it's pretty swollen but the hen doesn't seem to be sick in anyway. Just has this enlarged wattle?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by