Sick Chickens??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jblake1524, Oct 17, 2013.

1. jblake1524

jblake1524 New Egg

Oct 17, 2013
    I have lost one chicken & now another one is getting the same symptoms. Diarrhea, loose feathers on rear, blood from rear (not in poop though), then a fleshy discharge (looks like they are loosing their intestines out of their butts....for lack of a better explanation!)
    I have no idea what to do!!

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Can you post pictures. How old are these birds? How long does it go on with one step to the other. With laying hens, two quick things that come to mind are you have a hen with a prolapse, or you have vent picking going on.

3. jblake1524

jblake1524 New Egg

Oct 17, 2013
    Kelsie2290......Keep in mind....I'm such a "newbe"!! I can post pics tonight. They are 1.5 yrs old. She will get lethargic not eating or drinking, drainage from her rear will start...w/ blood then she will get better for about a week then dead!!
    Can you tell me what a vent is?? I hear it all the time on here but have no idea what that means!!
    Thanks!!

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    http://www2.ca.uky.edu/poultryprofi.../Chapter3_Anatomy_and_Physiology/Chapter3.pdf Is a link to a good pdf file from the UofKy on chicken anatomy. Vent / cloaca is basically their butt hole.
    What is the history on the girls, have you have them their whole lives, have they ever been wormed etc, do the rest of them look and act fine, laying eggs as expected?
    Is the drainage yellowish in color? Do their abdomens feel squishy? Back to prolapse from being egg bound or egg yolk peritonitis / internal laying maybe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by