Sick chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by coopacabanagirl, Nov 13, 2013.

1. coopacabanagirl

coopacabanagirl New Egg

Nov 13, 2013
    Western Kentucky
    I started Tylan 50 today.I have a barred rock that has a swollen eye and runny nose with lots of congestion. Gave her 1/2 cc of tylan 50.Vet Rx on her nose and under her wings. Any thing else I can do for her? And how long do I wait to eat the eggs again? Please help if you can......Thank you!!

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    You seem to be doing a good job with the Tylan and the VetRx. I'm not sure on the exact withdrawal period for the Tylan, but I wouldn't eat the eggs for at least two weeks after the last treatment.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You can give up to 1 cc/ml of Tylan daily safely. Tylan egg withdrawal is 1 day.

4. coopacabanagirl

coopacabanagirl New Egg

Nov 13, 2013
    Western Kentucky
    Thank you so much for your help. Do any of you know what this can be? I called vet several times for help with this problem and he had me to try Sulment, It did help 3 of my girls but my sweet Barred rock is really sick with this.This started around the same time I cleaned the coop to get it ready for winter. Here in Western Kentucky It gets cold so added wood chips and straw. Also about a month ago I bought some Polish and Frizzle chickens they look clean and healthy but they are separated from my big girls by screen. Nothing else added to the coop.Just trying to figure out what happened as I try to keep them healthy.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It sounds like a respiratory disease to me.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If your new chickens were only separated by a screen, I would guess that they are carriers of a respiratory disease such as mycoplasma gallisepticum or coryza, or others. Some are viral or bacterial. Sulmet is a sulfa drug that is used for coccidiosis and coryza, and can be a little hard on chickens. Tylan is good, but I would want to know what I was treating, so I might try to get one sick bird tested by my state vet. Here is some info on diseases and some on your state vet.
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
    http://www.kyagr.com/statevet/

7. coopacabanagirl

coopacabanagirl New Egg

Nov 13, 2013
    Western Kentucky
    Thank you and I will take this a step farther. So careful to do everything right for 7 months with these chicks and now some are sick. I feel so sorry for them and feel I have let them down. I check on the rest of the flock all seams okay for now. God bless you all. So happy I have a place to go for chicken help!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by