Sick Chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by minuteschics, Jan 31, 2014.

1. minuteschics

minuteschics New Egg

Jan 31, 2014
    I have 24 chickens. 2 White Leghorn roosters. 1 White Leghorn hen, 2 Black Aussie hens, 1 mixed breed rooster and 19 Production Reds. The chickens have been outstanding all winter here in eastern Oklahoma. I have been getting 15 to 21 eggs every day since late summer. My concern is on 1-28-2014 I found the white hen on the floor of the chicken coop almost frozen. She was very cold and stiff. I brought her in the house and after a couple of hours she warmed up but has never recovered to the point where she can be returned to the flock. She eats and drinks well and her droppings are normal but seems to suffer from vertigo. This morning, 1-31-2014, one of the white roosters was also having symptoms of vertigo. In fact, he was staggering so badly, he was easy for me to catch. I brought him into the house and put him in the cage with the white hen. He too has a good appetite but just has a hard time keeping his balance. All the other chickens seem to be well at this moment. Any ideas on what is happening to my White Leghorns or is this just coincidence? Of course I am worried this will go thru the whole flock.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  3. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Hi & [​IMG] Dehydration can cause them to have balance issues. I would add Electrolytes and vitamins to their water in the coop and keep the two away from others until they are feeling better and acting normally. Hope they get straighten out for you.

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If you suspect botulism, or if any die suddenly today or tomorrow, give them an epsom salt or molasses flush. This would cause the botulinum toxin to exit the body faster. Here are more links about Mareks: http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/search/disease/502
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/741957/not-an-emergency-mareks-in-the-flock

Edited to say that I re-read your first post saying this happened on 1-28, so I wouldn't do a flush now.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  5. minuteschics

minuteschics New Egg

Jan 31, 2014
    Don't know if they have been vaccinated. I bought these chicks as young adults from a neighbor who was moving. The neighbors got them from Tractor Supply in late spring. Do you know if the chicks TSC sells are vaccinated for Mareks disease? I will call tomorrow and ask, but who knows if the person I talk to really knows. I will research the web sites you sent me. Thanks so much for the info. It is really appreciated.
    Minute

6. minuteschics

minuteschics New Egg

Jan 31, 2014
    I have been giving them electrolyes in their water. Their food and water intake is normal and their droppings are normal. I am going to research Mareks disease. I called my vet today and she told me she would research the situation as well.

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Most feedstores do not vaccinate chicks--it costs $1 extra at most hatcheries to vaccinate, but is worth it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by