sick Chickens???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cazychicgirl, Nov 4, 2014.

1. cazychicgirl

cazychicgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2014
    1st I'm new to this chicken business and I'm a pretty sensitive person. So please no nasty or mean comments. Honest ones are welcomed. :)
    At the moment I have only 2 young chickens in my flock of 32 that are sneezing, one has what I would call snot coming out of the nose. No rattling sound that I can tell, no swelling of head or eyes, and no foul smells. I started them on tetracycline yesterday. I am looking for some suggestions on what this could be and what I need to give/treat the chickens with. Thanks so much!!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    With respiratory diseases you just have to guess what they have from the symptoms they show. Infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma (MG,) coryza, and I.L.T. are the more common ones in addition to aspergillosis which is a lung disease caused by mold. So far, it sounds more like IB, but MG cold also be what it is. You can easily get a sick bird tested by calling your state vet's office and ask. With any of these diseases, secondary infections may be very serious. Tylan, Gallimycin, and Oxytetracycline are commonly used for respiratory diseases and to prevent the secondary infections. Viruses of course (IB and ILT) have to run their course. It is possible to have 2 or more of these disease in the same chicken. Here is a good link to read on these and other diseases:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Here is the link for your state vet: http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf

3. cazychicgirl

Jun 15, 2014
    Thank you so much!!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You're welcome. Please give us an update on them after you treat them.

5. cazychicgirl

Jun 15, 2014
    I will. I rubbed vet rx on all of their beaks tonight. And started Oxytetracycline in their water tonight. It's weird how it's just the one with the "runny" nose and one with the sneeze. Everyone else seems perfectly fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by