sick chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by gordie, Feb 16, 2015.

1. gordie

gordie New Egg

Feb 16, 2015
    Hi I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice about my chickens. I live in Australia and all my chickens are dieing. I brought 4 12 week old chickens and they all died within 2 weeks. They get all lethargic as if they are to heavy for their legs They dont eat or drink and within 1 day they die..8 chickens later they all went the same way.I even bought 5 14 month old chickens thinking they would be stronger but they all died too.I have had chickens in this same yard for 10 years with no problems.This has all happened in the last 4 months.I would appreciate any advice

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    So sorry you keep losing chickens. Maybe you should post on the aussie thread "Australia, six states and one funny little Island." I'm thinking maybe some illness or disease is going around and taking your birds. Maybe others from your area know about it. I don't know what would kill them so fast unless - maybe the chicken feed is contaminated or they are coming in contact with some kind of poison - maybe herbicide or pesticide. Would it be possible to have one of the dead necropsied by a vet - so you know what you are dealing with.

4. N F C

N F C eggnog time! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC.

Sorry for your losses, that's rough. Mountain Peeps and drumstick diva have given you some good advice.

Hope things turn around for you.

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Merry Christmas! Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock just sorry it's not under better circumstances. Sorry to hear about all you losses that really is rough going for for you :hugs
    Mountain Peeps and drumstick diva have given you good advice definatly drop by those giving as much detail as possible. I hope you can get the answer to why your birds are dying.
    Good luck and hope you enjoy BYC :frow

6. gordie

gordie New Egg

Feb 16, 2015
    Thanks .As for pesticides and herbicides there is nothing I've introduced into the yard.No one including my local produce store where I bought them have any idea. There is nothing any different in my yard

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sounds like Coccidiosis to me. You need to get some medication with Amprolium in it for the birds. Being in Australia I am not sure if your feed stores carry meds like this for Coccidiosis. You can check there or ask your vet for meds.

Birds become immune to their environment. Your birds were moved to new ground and had no immunity to the type of cocci on that ground. (cocci is everywhere) And being so young, their immune systems are not yet able to fight this off.

Cocci kills fast so see if you can get some meds in them soon.

1 person likes this.
  8. gordie

gordie New Egg

Feb 16, 2015
    Thanks TwoCrows but we have tried that with no result. The older birds we bought had treatment for it from day one but they died within days of arriving. They should have been immune anyway. We use a product called Sulfa3 which has Sulfathiazole as its main constitute. Is that the same as Amprolium.

9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    This product you used should have treated for Coccidiosis, unless it was just too late to save the birds. Sulfathiazole is used for Coccidiosis among other ailments. I would start another thread in our emergency section on this. Explain you have used this drug and any other information you can give. Maybe someone can help you there...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good luck and I sure hope you can get down to the bottom of this. [​IMG]

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by