1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick Chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MrsWolfe, Feb 21, 2015.

1. MrsWolfe

MrsWolfe Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2013
    Leominster, MA
    I have two chickens that have pasty butts, and there has been some runny poo in the coop and chicken run. I live in the Boston Mass area and the weather hear has been extreme for us almost record setting snow falls, sub zero weather. The coop is heated and I have allowed the girls to go out into the run, but mostly they like to stay in.

Anyway, one of the girls is very lethargic, does not appear to be eating. I am going to attach a picture of her butt. My plan is to wash her with dawn dish soap, will this hurt her? Can anyone give me advise on what I should do?
    [​IMG]

2. Sonya9

Sonya9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    Dawn is safe (that is why it is used on wild ducks).

I just gave a newly acquired leghorn with extreme concrete pasty but a bath with dawn earlier today. She came that way, poor bird had probably been like that for many many months. Make sure to blow dry them on low or otherwise be certain they care completely dry before exposing them to the cold. Seems chickens really like the blow drying part. If they are ill it might be best to keep them inside where it is warm for a couple of days anyway.

Might want to fill a container so their butts can soak a bit if the poop is dry and hard.

Hopefully others can suggest how to treat this from the inside.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  3. MrsWolfe

MrsWolfe Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2013
    Leominster, MA
    thank you for your response. I did use dawn on them, luckily it was not as bad as it looked. She cleaned up well and they spent the day drying in the house. I will watch more closely these next few months especially as the mud season comes in as the snow melts. I am going to build them a platform in the run for mud season this should keep anything like this from happening again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by