Sick chickes... need help..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mneves, Oct 3, 2016.

1. mneves

mneves New Egg

May 5, 2016
    Hi... my chickens are sick too. First time gaving chickens and I am not sure if I am doing it right. They started sneezing and now they are coughing and breathing with a gurguling/raspy noise... only one showed swolen around her eyes and some discharge from her nistrils and was very quiet and did not want to eat... but seemed to improved this morning. The rest of the flock are eating and drinking well and beside the simptmas they seem al good. I read some staff online and I think they have a respiratory infection. I bought Tylan 200( the only one i found at my tracto supply) and I am giving 1cc to the big hens and 1/2 cc to bantans for 3 days already... ( i am planning to do 5 days) they improved the breathing noise but the snnezing and coughing won't go way. So i have some questions and I really appreciate if someone could help me.
    1. Am i doing it right?
    2. Is there any withdrawal period for eggs after tylan?
    Thank you all very much.

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Unfortunately, what you are likely dealing with is a contagious respiratory disease. Usually found in the form of the Mycoplasma bacterium. I would strongly recommend having your most symptomatic bird blood tested to confirm exactly what you are seeing. It usually costs $20-$40 to have done by a vet and is well worth the money.

Tylan is OK, but a medication known as Denagard is best for the job when dealing with the majority of CRDs. While Tylan can treat some symptoms, Denagard will treat all symptoms and is the best shot for the sickest birds in the flock (which Tylan generally cannot help).

Some things to know about contagious respiratory diseases:

- They are not curable, only treatable. They will remain within the flock for the life of all birds exposed and you may see symptom relapses multiple times a year.

- Even birds who never showed symptoms should be considered carriers and able to spread and transmit the disease. You should not sell or transfer any birds out of the flock or you risk infecting other people's flocks.

- You can still eat the eggs and meat from infected birds, but they may be poorer producers of both.

3. mneves

mneves New Egg

May 5, 2016
    I will buy Denagard then.. should I give it to the whole flock or just the ones showing simptomas? Is it labled for chickens? If it is not how is the dosage for big chickens and bantam? Can I just stop tylan and start denagard the next day? Any egg withdrawl while on tylan or denagard? Sorry for so many questions but I really want to get them well again. Thank you so much for your help!!

4. QueenMisha

It is not labeled for chickens, rather for swine. But it is the best thing to use and what my avian vet prescribes for these ailments. Dosage is 1.5tsp per gallon of drinking water. I would give it to the entire flock. It has a nasty flavor, so consider withholding water for 6-8 hours beforehand and try adding something sweet (corn syrup, sugar, fruit juice) to mask the taste. I've never used Tylan in conjunction with it, I'd say stopping Tylan the day before should be fine.

Egg withdrawal for Denagard is generally regarded as three weeks, I believe Tylan's is similar.

Edit: Actually, it would appear there is no egg withdrawal period for either Denagard or Tylan. I'd have sworn my avian vet told me there was one, but that may have referred to a meat withdrawal (which is five days - not sure how I got three weeks). Anyhow, sorry about that, looks like eggs are still safe for you to eat!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  5. mneves

mneves New Egg

May 5, 2016
    Thank you so much for your help:hugs
    I already ordered Denagard!!

6. QueenMisha

Hey, just wanted to say it turns out I was wrong about the egg withdrawal period for Denagard and Tylan. Apparently neither has an official egg withdrawal period and it is considered safe to eat eggs while medicating.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  7. mneves

mneves New Egg

May 5, 2016
    That is really good!!! Thank!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by