Sick chicks 8 weeks old

andisgarden

Songster
10 Years
Mar 14, 2009
Hello, I have read so many of your posts regarding chicken health and I am a bit freaked out. Of course, I didn't read until I had already got the chicks otherwise I would have never received started chicks because this has been a terrible thing so far...

anyway, I received these chicks last Thurs and immediately my husband said NO quarantine it is stupid and they are just chicks throw them in with our chicks. I didn't want to do this but he said it was too cold to put them in pens alone so I did it. I watched them for a long time and noticed that one of the chicks was really sleepy and when I picked her up she had a runny nose and watery eyes. I immediately took them out of my coop and noticed she was coughing. I swept all bedding out of my coop and bleached all of the feeders, waterers and roosts. My flock is not showing signs of runny nose or cough but, i am still freaked out.
Fast forward, Sunday I noticed 3 of those chicks are now coughing and the biggest pullet has a yellowish discharge out of her nose and is breathing with her mouth open. One of the chicks is also passing blood in their stool.

How should I proceed? I have added ACV to the water of all my birds I am bleaching my shoes when I go around these birds and I do not get near my birds until I am sure I am clean.

I have no experience with this but I can say I got my chicks last thursday too
lol.png

I am in no position to give advice as I would probally harm them even more.

I hope everything goes well and you get the help you need from a much more educated member!
hugs.gif

I have 12 chicks in my coop and they are really healthy and I hate to think I might have exposed them to something. I have put so much time and money into getting this flock started.

you have two issues here
(1 runny nose and watery eyes, yellow discharge coughing= respiratory disease
(2 bloody manure is coccidiosis

READ THIS AND DO AS i TELL YOU IT REALLY WILL HELP THE SITUATION
AND SAVE THE CHICKS
here is some thing to do for them

(1 runny nose, coughing, yellow discharge out of nose, do this:

Use the vetrx on ALL SICK CHICKS
put it on the head and under the wings
and 1/2 tsp down the throat a couple times a day for a week
2 tsp per gallon of water
for ALL OF THEMas if it drank from the same watetrer then I would give it in the water for all of them

(2 Blood in manure
SOUNDS LIKE COCCIDIOSIS to me
so do this and the vetrx also
the sulmet is good for respiratory diseases
so get going on both treatments asap

If the one chicken has the coccidiosis and ruffled feathers and sluggish
then feed it to all the chickens

****you need to get going on the coccidiosis medication
the sulmet is okay you need to use it in the water as well as in the

***medicated wet mash
1 qt dry crumbles
2 qts water
in the water put 1 tsp of sulmet

***feed each bird 3 tsp of this medicated wet mash
to get them going on the medication

and use the sulmet in the water *****( I would add 1/2 pkg of red jello to the gallon of sulmet water to give flavor as sulmet is so strong they some times won't drink enough of the straight medicated water. The jello is appitising to them)

**** also
feed this two mornings at rate of 3 tsp per bird
see that they eat this medicated wet mash in 20-30 minutes
then clean the wet feeders and restock dry crumbles
It gets them going on the sulmet sooner than just letting them decide to drink the medicted water

trust me this does work have used it many times on all kinds of fowl sick with coccidiosis

to get the birds going I would do this
***feed the medicated wet mash now
***then feed the wet mash probiotic this evening

wet mash probiotic
1 qt of dry crumbles
1-1/2 qts of milk any kind
1/4 cup of yoguart
mix good and feed 3 tbsp per chicken so that they eat it in 20-30 minutes

also in the water put 2 tbsp of ACV to a gallon of water
you can email me PM for help
keep us posted to let us kno what happens on this

I forgot to tell you that if you can't find Vetrx you can get it from
Smith Poultry & Game Bird Supply

14000 W. 215th St., Bucyrus, KS 66013-9519

Ph. 913-879-2587 - 7:30 A. M. - 3 P. M CST Monday-Friday

24-hour Fax. 913-533-2497

Glenda thank you for the info. How do I know what kind of respiratory cold this is? Also, what if it affects my whole flock. I have scrubbed and gotten rid of all things these chicks touched and the exposure was minimal. I have been using VetRx for 4 days w/no real improvement. I have also used ACV and garlic in their water for 3 days I am not noticing any improvement so far. I don't think the guy I got them from used medicated food, I could be wrong on that though.

I have read some of your old posts and that is how I knew what to do so far. I appreciate your time.

Andrea

I want a clean flock and I hate that this is happening but, I cannot afford all my chickens getting this right now.

have you started the cocci treatment?
Sulmet, Sulfadimethoxine can treat some respiratory illnesses along with cocci.
otherwise, if you treat with Corid or Amprol, they should get an antibotic, such as Tylan, erythromycin, etc...
here are some that you can check out:

http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/store/index.php?cPath=21_29

whenever you mix flocks, they can cross expose each other to different strains that they aren't immune to.

could have been stress from new environment, and could have got chilled.. that lowered their immune systems..

how old are the sick chicks?
are they under a heat light?
chick vitamins?
whenever they are sick they need to be kept warm and out of draft or wet.
cocci tends to make them feel cold also.

keep a close eye on your first batch.
how old are they?
how are they kept?(brooder/heat light..)
what bedding are you using?
what all do you feed?

Sorry, I just saw your post. Second batch is 8+ weeks and he wasn't really sure how old but, they are fully feathered, so no heat light. I have given them chick electrolytes and have them on medicated feed. I have been using VetRx and putting garlic and ACV in the water.

First flock is 12-13 weeks old and so far they seem happy and cough free., I did notice that one of them may have a runny nose. I will check again today. I am using pine shavings in my coop and the temporary shelter for the other chicks.

Thanks,

Andrea

Back
Top Bottom