Sick chicks abandoned.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mrs Clutterbuck, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Mrs Clutterbuck

Mrs Clutterbuck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    So it's real hot here in NZ and Mumma hen has abandoned her chicks...she seemed to stay in the coop for a couple of days afer they all hatched and were relocated to the coop. I questioned if they were leaving but made the assumption they were. Now I fear that she kept them all in the nest not feeding or watering them. So 5 of her chicks were dead and I have 3 left...they were cold and barely moving...i have them in a double boiler with tepid water...was about to incubate them, but i'm worried about dehydration. Help please...I have had little success in rehabing these types of situations and I would appreciate your tips!

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Most important - keep them warm - first week around 90F and reduce by 5 degrees each week. They need water - if you have something like Sav-a-chik electrolyte powder that would be great, if not a little sugar water to start them off. You will need to dip their beaks in it so they get the idea. They will need chick starter food - I would suggest making a porridge consistency mash with it for them - that way they should get re-hydrated fairly quickly.
    Sometimes Momma Chicken does a rotten job of being a Mom - now it's up to you! [​IMG]
    Pasty butt can be a problem, especially if they get too hot. you need to check their bums fairly frequently, if it's pasted you will have to remove the poop. Q-tip, fingernail etc. with some mild soap and water - don't get the chick soaking wet, not good.
    Once you have them warm, eating and drinking should follow quickly, please keep us posted on your progress! [​IMG]

3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    x2

Excellent advice.

LofMc

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by