Sick chicks,,act like they have a cold,loosing chicks,help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by farmerroo, Jun 26, 2011.

1. farmerroo

farmerroo New Egg

Jun 26, 2011
    My chicks are exibiting signs like they have a cold,nasil discharge,sorta gasp for air,eyes matted closed,off apitite. What can I do? chicks are fully feathered and from 3 to 4 months old.Ive lost about 20 so far.I am segregating them as soon as I see signs of sickness.Feeding the medicated grower from local Co=Op.These are Red Blue Laced Wyandotts,Buff Orpingtons,and Bramahs,all large sized fowel.We have been having rain every other day,wet conditions but I keep the chicks where they have more than adaquite shelter.Any advice greatly appreciated. My first experience with chickens.
    Thanks in advance

2. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Could it be gapeworm? I'm by no means an expert but it makes the chicken gasp for air. Not sure about the other symptoms though. You've lost twenty? Man alive that's horrible! Could it be mold?

3. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    you neeed anti botics medicated feed wont do any good . they sound like the have upper respitory infection.

4. farmerroo

farmerroo New Egg

Jun 26, 2011
    I have started terymician, Terra-Vet from TSC. Doesnt seem to be helpin.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:How long have they been on it? you might have to give it a couple days before you see any improvememt, you also have to make fresh meds. everyday.

6. farmerroo

farmerroo New Egg

Jun 26, 2011
    I have had them on it for 3 days now,actually some improvement this mornin.

Where in NC do you live? I was born and raised in the Sylva,Dilsboro area.

7. 6chicks&aduck

6chicks&aduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    S E North Dakota
    Hi, I put mine and Duraymacin 10 from TSC and seems to be clearing them up , they have been on it for the same type of symptoms for 4 days now and doing great !! just thought you might try it if what you have doesnt work

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Great to hear. make sure they get it fresh easch day. also give them some plain good quality yogurt along with their chick feed to help with gut issues from the antibiotic.

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    6chicks&aduck :

Hi, I put mine and Duraymacin 10 from TSC and seems to be clearing them up , they have been on it for the same type of symptoms for 4 days now and doing great !! just thought you might try it if what you have doesnt work

Great to hear yours are doing good too!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by