1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick Chicks!!! Advice Please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by renaenae, May 6, 2011.

1. renaenae

renaenae Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2010
    So about 1 week ago I added an 11 day old chick to my 5 day old chicks. The 11 day old came from my dad--it was the only chick he incubated survive. Yesterday we had to put him down. He was perfectly fine until yesterday morning we woke up to him stumbling all over his box and the other chicks wouldn't go near him. He was not injured that would could see. Then my husband found him laying on his back unable to get up a couple hours later and breathing very heavily. He wouldn't open his eyes or anything. He never really liked being picked up and would just fight--well, he didn't even try to resist when my husband picked him up. We had seperated him in the morning and as the day went on his breathing became worse and he continued to not move-he hadn't moved in hours--so my husband put him down since he was only suffering. All of my other chicks seemed perfectly fine until tonight. I checked on them before bedtime and one of my americaunas (was a 5 day old) was laying in the box breathing heavily, won't walk, and the others were all at the other end of the box seemingly feeling just fine. He had some yellowish runny poop outside of his butt so i thought maybe he was clogged up--but he wasn't, it was just runny. We have not changed anything with them--food or anything. There brooder box is kept very clean, water and food too. I am at a loss and have no idea what could be going on. We separated him from the other chicks for the night and will see how he's doing in the morning. If anybody has any idea what could be wrong and if my other chicks are in danger--please let me know. Thanks so much!

2. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    How hot are they?

3. renaenae

Jul 14, 2010
    there temp in the brooder is about 80 degrees. we were keeping it the recommended temp, but they were all at the opposite end away from the light so i raised it a little and this seems to be really good. the past few days they sleep under the light but all spread out--some in the middle of the brooder, but most spread out under the light. this chick doesn't seem to have much if any balance issues--he'd moved a little throughout the night and ate a little bit.

4. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    Are they on medicated feed? Sounds like your temp is good. I think the chicks will tell you better than any chart if it's too hot.

5. britsngrits

britsngrits Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    WV
    If they are having a hard time breathing could it be a respitory problem? Do you have any antiobiotic on hand you can mix up for them?

6. renaenae

Jul 14, 2010
    Well--both the sick chicks died. they had different symptoms--so i don't know if it coincidence or what. all of my other chicks seem perfectly happy. They are not on medicated feed--i've raised 3 different bunches of chickens on non-medicated feed with no problems. i don't know what it was, but i'm hoping it's over. we are keeping a very close eye on everybody just in case. thanks for your help....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by