Sick chicks and now a grown hen

rynegold

Chirping
11 Years
Apr 30, 2011
A month ago we hatched out some chicks from out own flock. They have all been fine and growing well.then out of the blue I came home and found one chick(3weeks old) dead. We went to the Trade Days in our area and brought home two pairs of White Bantam Wyndotts, (very healthy birds) Since then we have lost another chick at 5 weeks old. Neither chick had any visible cause of death. Now several of the chicks, now almost 6 weeks old are listless and look like they could just keel over at any minute. I gave the whole flock a dose of vitamin in their water. This morning one of our original grown hens from which the chicks were hatched is sick like the babies. What is going on..... the two pair of Bantams we brought in seem perfectly healthy. What can I do?? Can I give them anything or just wait it out??? Mother of the Flock

There are so many things that can affect chickens you need to do a necropsy on any bird that dies if you are losing more than 1.
Could the chicks have coccidiosis?

Seemingly healthy birds can seem healthy but be carrying something. I quarantine all new birds at least 2 weeks as far from my flocks as I can and then house a sacrificial bird next to them for another week. If all are still healthy they can go together.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom