Sick chicks - any ideas?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ho11ie, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Ho11ie

Ho11ie New Egg

Aug 12, 2010
    Hi everyone, I'm new here and just wondered if anyone could help.

4 weeks ago I bought 4 little pekin bantam chicks, the same night we got them home one of them died, we were warned that the journey etc can stress them out and cause them to die. So the next day we bought 5 more from another place (a much more reputable one). Everything seemed fine, until a few days later one of the biggest healthiest chicks seemed to die for no reason, she was very tired and her neck went all limp just before she passed away. Then the smallest chick went downhill, she kept getting a dirty bottom which we kept clean, but one morning it looked like something was hanging out of her bottom. We took her to the only vet we could find open (as it was a Saturday) and they weren't very helpful, he thought it may be Coxy but didn't have any treatment, so I phoned the chicken man and he said take her to him, even if she had died as he would do a post mortam. She passed away and he did the post mortam, there were no signs of coxy, and most of her insides were normal, her gizzard was very enlarged though and that's why her bottom was protruding. So he gave us antibiotics for the rest. Then a few days later another just dropped down dead, found her lying on her front with her legs stretching out backwards, chicken man said sounds like a heart attack. Then they all showed signs of a cold, sneezing etc. One was worse then the others and sounded really bunged up, she was shaking her head etc. Took her to the chicken man and he gave her an injection that he said would kill or cure, she lasted another day but wouldn't eat or drink, we gave her water by syringing drops on the end of her beak, she then went into a deep coma and died. Then another two went down the same road, stopped eating and drinking and died, these went downhill very quickly, which just leaves our last two, they have lasted a week longer then the last, the sneezing has nearly stopped, but they are both opening their mouths wide every now and then, one of them (a roo) isn't feathering quickly and his skin seems to be driving him mad, at times it looks quite red and his feet have turned from a pale colour to a reddish colour, his eyes also look sore and bulging, but he is eating drinking and pooing. The other was fine yesterday but today is only interested in trying to cuddle up to the other one, she isn't eating or drinking and is crying a lot. This is how the others that died became towards the end. They are also very sleepy all the time and always have been, we thought this was down to the antibiotics.

Does anyone have any ideas what could have been wrong with them and what we could do to save the last two? It's been soooo upsetting to watch all this happen.

Thanks

Hollie

2. epitidios

epitidios Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    I know how you feel [​IMG] I lost two birds some weeks ago, i still have one sick and i came across the scenario to lose them all.

Follow this link. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

It has info on many diseases and also there is a good chart of disease vs symptoms. Hope it helps.

I hope that you can help and save the rest of the chicks

3. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    Sounds like a respitory thing. I would give shots of Tylan but maybe chicken man did that? Good luck and let us know what happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by