Sick chicks I think.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PhlyinPheBee, Jun 3, 2010.

1. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    I got 4 chicks from eggbid and I think they might be sick. They are eating, drinking, active for the most part but some stay puffed up and close their eyes alot. What can I give to help them out???

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Can you give us more info? How old are they? Are they in a brooder in your house or somewhere else?

Chicks naturally sleep a lot, but if they're puffed up, they may be cold.

3. PhlyinPheBee

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    They are about 5-6 weeks old and are outside in a cage with hay for the bedding. It is 90+ in the day and 70 at night. They are just as active as my other chicks that are about the same age. I have started them on sulmet in hopes of treating several things. My mom saw them today and she thought they looked a bit ill.

4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    If they have been outside - i'm assuming they have access to the ground - for a couple of weeks now, then it may be coccidiosis. Sulmet is one treatment for cocci. I hope they are all well.

5. PhlyinPheBee

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    The cage is 3 feet at least off the ground. I do not know what they were in before I got them. I guess I will have to wait and see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by