Sick chicks make it stop!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by leeandy91, Nov 25, 2013.

1. leeandy91

leeandy91 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2013
    I have chicks roughly 8 weeks old and one of them has matted up eyes and a runny nose and no energy she also seems to be gasping. I lost half my chicks to this once already a few months ago and it went away now it's back what is it and how do I get rid of it? Help Please!

2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Is there any foul smell to the head(s) of the chicks?

If so, you may be dealing with coryza... you will need an antibiotic such as tetracycline if it is coryza.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If there is a bad smell which may indicate coryza, sulfadimethoxine (band names Di-Methox, Albon, Sulfamed-G) would be the best treatment. Sulmet could also be used. If there is no bad smell as in CRD or mycoplasma, Tylan, oxytetracycline (terramycin,) or Gallimycin would be better. Here is a list of diseases and symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    These diseases are chronic or come back in a flock because the chickens all become carriers, and will infect any new chicks or chickens that come into the flock. You should have an "all in--all out" policy. Until your flock has all died, and you disinfect, then wait several weeks, only then can you start a new flock free of disease. Don't buy birds from poultry swaps or unknown breeders. Also hatching eggs from infected flocks can pass along mycoplasma (CRD.)

5. ATMac1962

ATMac1962 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    I'm a true believer in Tylan 50. $13.99 @ Tractor Supply, it's injectable, but I also read you could squirt it down their throat. They also sell antibiotics that can be mixed with their water. Injections work faster. Good Luck

6. leeandy91

Nov 25, 2013
    There is no smell and one has died already it only lasted 2 days I have tried vet rx and wormer will tylan work?

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Tylan is probably the best to start with. I would not give injections to young chicks, but Tylan comes in oral powder form also. If you can't find that look for Oxytetracycline, Gallimycin, or a mix of Lincomycin/Spectinomycin or LS 50. You may be dealing with mycoplasma (CRD.)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  8. leeandy91

Nov 25, 2013
    I just ordered tylan from Jeffers I should be here in a day or two I got the soluble powder how much of that should I use on 8 week old chicks?

Thank you for all your help I don't want to loose any more of my babies!

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I believe that the correct dosage is one teaspoon per five gallons of water.

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Simply, just add 1/2 teaspoonful per gallon of water. Add the powder to the water, never add the water to the powder. Treat 3 to 5 days. Dosage in the package insert says to add the contents of the container to 1 gallon (3790 cc/ml) of water and stir well.That will make 50 gallons of solution. You can do that and use 75.8 cc/ml to a gallon of water, or the easier way is to mix 1/2 tsp powder in a gallon of water. Since there are 100 grams in the bottle, you need 2 grams per gallon (since it makes 50 gallons.) There are 5 grams roughly in a teaspoonful, so 1/2 a tsp will actually be 2.5 grams, but close enough per gallon. Always add water to the powder, never add powder to the water when mixing.http://www.jefferspet.com/images/label/16364.htm

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by