1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick chicks...please help....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dee pillaro, Jun 8, 2016.

1. dee pillaro

dee pillaro Just Hatched

Jun 8, 2016
    Louisiana
    I need help, I bought 4 chickens, 2 laying and 2 (1 pullet and Cockrell ) when I got them home and mixed them with my flock, a couple days later the Cockrell started sneezing. Now I have an older one of mine coughing,sneezing and very wheezy. I hv 6 2 month Olds with runny noses and 3 older ones sneezing. I bought tylan 50 and injected it. I don't know for sure if I'm putting it in the right place. I'm putting it under skin near the wing. Please tell me this will help n it's in the right place.... I don't want to loose my birds. : (

2. elliceneaves

elliceneaves New Egg

Jun 8, 2016
    Sounds like it might be coryza. Its highly infectious. They are carriers of that disease for life, even after recovering from it.

3. dee pillaro

dee pillaro Just Hatched

Jun 8, 2016
    Louisiana
    If I give the shot up under the skin between the wing and breast, is that ok? I'm using tylan 50. 1cc for my big chickens and 1/2cc for my 2 month Olds. Also, should I even treat those that aren't showing signs? And one more question... I have 24 Lil peeps about 2 weeks old. They are up in a cage about 4 feet above the rest with their own water and food that they don't share. Will they be ok??? I'm sorry for so many questions. I'm a newbie to all of this.

4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Chillin' With My Peeps

In the future, you need to quarantine ALL new birds in order to protect your flock.

I saw many people used a drop of Vet Rx to cure respiratory illness.

Good luck!

5. dee pillaro

dee pillaro Just Hatched

Jun 8, 2016
    Louisiana
    Unfortunately I didn't know until it was to late. Still, I need to know if the place between wing and breast is a good place for a shot and do I treat all of the chickens, even ones that don't show signs right now... I'm in panic mode!!!

6. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by