Sick chicks! Rales :-(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OhioGirl, Mar 11, 2014.

1. OhioGirl

OhioGirl New Egg

Aug 11, 2013
    Tipp City, Ohio
    I was changing out water and feeding my chicks when I heard abnormal breathing. Two of the chicks have rales (junking sounding when they breath) one is worse than the other. I have isolated the two in a different enclosure. How do I treat this? Or do I just wait it out? Please help!
    I didn't notice any difference in their eyes or nostrils but I didn't have a chance to watch them for long unfortunately.

2. Basil G

Basil G Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2014
    I have a rooster turning one year soon and he has this breathing problem since being a chick. I got this liquid med from the feed store (I don't know the name) and I give him some drops in his mouth and he is ok. Same like your chicks nothing visibly wrong with him, but he just has a breathing problem

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Keep this whole batch of chicks isolated from your flock if you have another flock. If this is your first batch of chicks, then be prepared for the worst. Any signs of respiratory illness is a bad thing in poultry. Chickens don't get colds. They get chronic respiratory infections that often render them carriers for life. That means they can infect any birds they are exposed to, for the rest of their lives, and can never be cured of what ails them. Definitely isolate these ill birds from their peers, but keep the whole flock under quarantine until you figure out what is going on.

Tell us more about your situation and where these chicks came from.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by