1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick chicks, sneezing congestion, one died

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Brigabart, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Brigabart

Brigabart Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2015
    So, I have a question for those who have had respiratory issues with chickens - I have never had one as of last week, but now I do. I bought 5 chicks from a chicken store. One seemed quiet when we got home, but didn't think much of it. It tended to spend more time under the shelf than the others. It seemed ok the first 4 days, but then developed a click in the chest. I gave it some Tylan 50, but within 24 hours it died. The other four have passed it through in varying degrees. One was congested - clicking in the chest and sounded congested in the head while breathing. Now, 5 days later, it has gone through all four. The first ones seems to have recovered completely, and the fourth one is in the congested stage with a bit of sneezing. None of these four ever seemed sick other than the congestion - never slowed them down a bit. I don't know if it matters since they were inside, but the first chick went down while we had huge storms, a big cool weather front, and flooding.

They have been heavily quarantined during this whole time - only I enter the room, and afterwards I go directly to the laundry room and shower. No other chickens on my land seem affected.

So, question - I brought the one dead chick to the state for necropsy. It had been dead 2 days so I hope they can still find something. Any ideas on what this might be? It will probably be a week until they get back to me and I want to make sure I am doing all that I should. When the report does come back, what sorts of things should I consider? I'd like to give them a chance, but not if they are carrying something that could hurt my flock. But if it's just a bit of a cold, I'd like to keep them.

Thanks,
    Heidi

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry for your loss.

Having the necropsy performed was a very good idea. Personally, I would wait until the results came in before making any decisions.

Keep your quarantine practices in place.

Here is a list of common poultry diseases:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. Brigabart

Brigabart Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2015
    Thanks for the link. Sigh, after reading through it all, it looks like they will most likely be carriers for something even if they get completely well. I just hate to cull happy little guys..... hate to cull sick ones too, but this would be the first time I had to cull healthy looking ones. I'll just hold the quarantine and wait for the report.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by