Sick chicks

LWils

Hatching
Mar 1, 2017
So I've googled this and come up with maby different answers and wanted to see if y'all can give me some help.
I have isolated three 9 week old chicks because they seem to have upper respiratory related issues. I started them on 1/4cc tylan 50 last night (they are small) and they seem to have perked up, especially the one who was worse off than the others. So my question is, do I give this once or twice a day for five days?

So I've googled this and come up with maby different answers and wanted to see if y'all can give me some help.
I have isolated three 9 week old chicks because they seem to have upper respiratory related issues. I started them on 1/4cc tylan 50 last night (they are small) and they seem to have perked up, especially the one who was worse off than the others. So my question is, do I give this once or twice a day for five days?

Hi LWils, I hope your chicks fared well with your efforts... there wasn't much of a follow thread on this, and I know this post was a year ago... but I was hoping maybe you may have some advice... and you figured this out... I too researched using Tylan 50 - and after loosing a chick at 4 weeks to resptory - I was determined to not have it happen again. 2 more of my chicks then started being lethargic and I got the Tylan 50 - and gave them .10 cc 1x a day (on the advice of a knowledgeable chicken man who works at the local Tractor Supply)... and my 1 chick perked up... the other is doing better. They're eating & drinking & pooping... so I'm happy with that... but they're also the 2 smallest of my chicks... I'm on day 7 now... not sure how long I should go? 10 days would be a "people" time for meds... but idk about chicks? any ideas?

Tylan 50 injectable can be given orally or by injection. The dosage is pretty forgiving, but Plumbs says to give 10 to 40 mg per kg 2-4 times a day. That is 5 to 20 mg per pound 2-4 times a day. Tylan 50 1 ml equals 50 mg. With a chick I would give 1/4 ml, a small chicken 1/2 ml, a chicken over 5 pounds 1 ml, and a larger bird, 7 to 10 pounds 1.5 to 2 ml. That can be given 2 to 4 times a day. This would be the 5 mg per pound dose but larger doses would be acceptible. For example, a very serious infection might require more if they are not responding.

Back
Top Bottom