Sick chicks

ryajs

In the Brooder
Nov 10, 2016
One of my chicks got suddenly ill. She couldn't pick her head up and look up. She was stumbling around like she could hardly walk. She did a lot of just laying around not really moving. She seemed to be gasping for breath. She didnt make it... now another of my chicks is acting a little off.... like her balance isn't all the way there. She seems a little lethargic. What could this be and what do I do? Thanks!

Sometimes there’s not much to do with a sick chick. As long as you have the food and heat near them they would stay healthy. Also a bit of apple cider vinager in the water with a bit of sugar will help the chicks become more stronger and will make there immune system better from
getting any bacteria. Also sometimes u can add vitamins to the water.

Are they your hatch or purchased chicks?
How many chicks are there?
How old are they?
What are you using to keep them warm?
What kind of bedding are you using?
What are you feeding?
They are purchased. There are now 7 chicks. They range from 13 to 19 days old. They have a heat light and I believe cedar wood chip bedding. I am using chick starter feed

Replace the bedding IMMEDIATELY!!! Cedar wood chips have toxic VOC's that are off gassing. Toluene, terpenes, being emitted are causing respiratory failure.
Pine shavings or hardwood shavings like Aspen will not cause respiratory problems.
Thank you! I went to check the bag. I was incorrect they are mixed soft wood shavings. It what they recommended at the feed store and I have actually been using it for a few years in my coop and for the chicks.

One of my chicks got suddenly ill. She couldn't pick her head up and look up. She was stumbling around like she could hardly walk. She did a lot of just laying around not really moving. She seemed to be gasping for breath. She didnt make it... now another of my chicks is acting a little off.... like her balance isn't all the way there. She seems a little lethargic. What could this be and what do I do? Thanks!

They are purchased. There are now 7 chicks. They range from 13 to 19 days old. They have a heat light and I believe cedar wood chip bedding. I am using chick starter feed
Can you provide some photos of the chicks, your brooder and their poop in natural lighting (turn off the red lamp please).
Thank you for clarifying the bedding.

How much ventilation does your brooder have. Is this a new heat lamp bulb or one that you have used before?

I would check the temperature in the brooder just to make sure they are not overheating, but at that age Coccidiosis comes to mind.
Can you get some Corid at your feed store, usually it's in the cattle section.

Dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day. Give it to all the chicks.

upload_2019-3-19_8-29-58.png
upload_2019-3-19_8-30-9.png

Great thank you. I will be purchasing this today. It is well ventilated. The bulb is used. I moved the bulb away from their space some to see if lowering the temperature helps... thank you so much
I will see if I can load some pictures later on. Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom