Sick Chicks?!?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bravo, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Bravo

Bravo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    Sorry, I couldn't resist the title [​IMG]

I have two 11wk old pullets that something is just "off" about them. They currently live in a 4X4 pen in the garage because they are too young to integrate with the rest of my flock. They do, however, get 2 hours of monitored free-ranging daily (in my suburban backyard). They are fed 20% protein chick starter crumble and I always add a little ACV to their water.

When they are free-ranging, its more like free-standing. They literally stand in the same spot that I place them in with little or no interest in the environment around them. I swear I have caught them giving each other the "now what?" look. They range with my older girls so they have examples of what they should be doing.

They have no interest in eating worms, grass, lettuce or any of the other goodies I have attempted to feed them over their lifetimes...I don't get it. [​IMG]

I hatched these chickens and out of the 4 I kept, 2 were roosters and I have since given them away. The roo's were more interested in food but did the same lets-all-stand-around when given time to free range.

Is something wrong with them physically or are they just extra bird brained??

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  2. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    hahaha sounds like they are just kinnda stunded by the fack they are free find a momma or a kind chicken and let them enteract and maybe one of the younger ones to enteract with?

3. Bravo

Bravo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    Quote:LOL I tried putting them together with one of my nicer girls who is just a little bigger than they are. That didn't work out so well...my older girl couldn't get out of there fast enough!!

These girls get almost no exercise--by their own choice. I really think they're sick...does anyone have any idea what it could be? I don't know what to do. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by