sick chicks!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chick momma10, Jun 16, 2010.

1. chick momma10

chick momma10 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    hattiesburg ,Mississippi
    I have noticed that some of my pullets are coughing [​IMG] and have a runny nose . should I be worried [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    chick momma, i'm sorry to say that chickens don't really catch colds, and runny noses are pretty much always a bad sign.

I hope you immediately quarantine the ones who have any nasal discharge. It could be quite a few different things. Can you share what other symptoms they have and what their surroundings are like?

Tell us as much as you can.

3. chick momma10

chick momma10 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    hattiesburg ,Mississippi
    ok they basically have a runny noise and sneeze they are surounded by pine straw lives sand rocks and lots of trees:idunno thats all but there is 25 of them

4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Most of the time, runny nose, especially in an entire flock, to the best of my knowledge, means there's an infectious respiratory disease afoot. Because it's a disease and not a cold or something, most respiratory diseases make the birds carriers for the rest of their lives.

Many of us here (not all) including myself, would choose to cull birds displaying these symptoms.

This is because any bird you bring into your flock would likely contract the same disease. If you choose to keep birds with respiratory disease, it is important that you keep a closed flock = no one new in and no one out. Even though they may get over the symptoms, they will likely still be carriers and contagious.

The only exception i'm aware of is fowl pox, which is accompanied by little sores on the face and comb.

Here is a link to a list of some respiratory diseases. You might be able to do some research on these and narrow down what you're dealing with.

I'm so sorry.

http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/respiratory_disease.htm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by