Sick Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by holsonbake, Mar 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. holsonbake

holsonbake New Egg

Mar 15, 2008
    We recently bought several baby chicks that are 2 weeks old now. Most of them are thriving. But we have 4, Salmon Favollres and Buff Rocks, that are just off. They can't stand for very long on their own. When they do the wobble a few feet and fall down. They are listless. It started a week ago with 1 Salmon Favollres and it seems like every other day a new one pops up with it. We have Red Stars, Barred Rocks and White Rocks that are doing fine. We fed the quick chick starter, Purina Startena, we have the on pine shavings with a heat lamp and heater. We change their water and feed twice a day and monitor the environment.

My husband has raised chickens for 30 years and has never had this problem. It even stumped the lady at Murray McMurray (who offered to replace them). We just want to know what it is and how we can stop it and make the sick ones well.

Thanks.

2. amaliayosa

amaliayosa Chillin' With My Peeps

Many people who ordered from Murray Mcmurray are experiencing these same problems with their chicks. Here is a link to an indepth discussion taking place there.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=35513
    I too ordered from them, mine are a week old today and I am keeping my fingers crossed.
    Amy

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by