Sick chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sunEside, Aug 4, 2011.

1. sunEside

sunEside Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    I have lost 4 chicks since they arrived in the mail yesterday. One was DOA. I posted in the chick area but am hoping to find someone who may have answers. I know that not all chicks are going to survive. It has been hard watching them die and trying to save them. The chicks had become lethargic and were just laying in the brooder.

2. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Make sure they aren't too warm... I don't know about where you are, but temps are hot here. Have you dipped their little beaks into the fountain to make sure they're staying hydrated?

3. sunEside

Jul 19, 2011
    I am monitoring them very closely now. Remote thermometer, 95 degrees. All chicks have had their beaks dipped and redipped. Vents checked. Water mixed with sav-a-chick electrolytes. Mixed water sugar and medicated feed so it will be easier to eat and have extra liquid. I have not had trouble like this before. I bought chicks from a feed store twice and from a small chicken farmer. The chicks were cold when I got them from the post office.

4. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Shipping is hard on chicks, and they need to be kept consistently warm - sounds like they weren't. They may not all be able to overcome being too cold for too long - organ or brain damage, etc. Sometimes you lose some when they ship through the mail. Often hatcheries include a few extra to take this into account.

I'm sorry your chicks aren't doing well. Make sure to let the hatchery know.

5. sunEside

Jul 19, 2011
    My husband called the hatchery and they offered a refund for the amount of chicks lost within 48 hours. Replacements were not offered, but I don't think I want replacements now. The chicks were sent out too soon or the post office didn't handle them well. Something is wrong with them. Seven out of 26 is pretty high of a death rate and we might lose more. I hoped it was over today and they all were safe. Then two more die.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by