1. Hey guys please help me!!!!! I have 19, 3 month old chicks and they all have the same symptoms,a bubbly sound when they breathe. Can anyone help and tell me whats wrong?And 2 of my hens and one of my roosters are also acting wierdly when i call them in in the evenings they dont come for food. never mind ruuning for food they dont even take a step closer to the coop!!! please can someone help!!!! i'm sooo worried about them!!!![​IMG][​IMG]

2. flockoffour

flockoffour Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2012
    West Coast
    Just a guess, but, are you using sawdust for bedding? This could be causing respiratory problems

3. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    Im sorry about your birds being sick. Mine have just gotten over it. Sometimes in the winter respiratory illnesses will spread among the flock. Do they have runny noses? How is the poo? Are they eating normal? Do they gasp for breathe? Breath with their beaks open? Stand all fluffed up?

4. thanx, But no im not using saw dust ,but i am using wood shavings mixed in with hay that the hens scratch out of the nesting boxes.

5. Well actually it is summer now here in south africa, but thanx all of the other things with my chicks are normal exept for the bubbly breathing sound which is slowly going away.but thanx i really apreciate your advice.

6. maidenwolfx80

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    Sometimes they can have a pit of pollen in their nostrils that cause an irratation in the lungs. If you can give some vitamins and minerals in their water and just watch for other symptoms that is were I would start.

7. OH ok thanks!!! Well now it spread from my chicks to the hens and roosters!!!! do you think that the eggs are still edible.Because I run a sall business and if I cant sell the eggs i'm in deep poop!!

8. maidenwolfx80

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    If it is spreading then it is not just a seasonal thing. Are there any more symptoms? If this is spreading you may need to medicate.

9. Are these the same birds you thought were "constipated"? Sometimes if they have an impacted crop they will try to regurgitate fluid, and that can cause a bubbly sound. Especially if they're not eating. Just a thought. Are there any other symptoms? What does their poop look like (gross, I know, but sometimes it helps)? Are their crops hard or squishy, and are they emptying? Do they have any discharge from their nostrils or beaks? What color are their combs? Is there a lot of dust in their coop or where other places they frequent? Have they thrown up?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by