sick chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LCoffee, Mar 25, 2013.

1. LCoffee

LCoffee New Egg

Mar 22, 2013
    I think I'm losing one of my chicks. Went out to the brooder and she is near lifeless, laying on the floor. Other chicks walking over her. My husband is going out to humanely finish her, as we hate to see her suffer. I have 12 total and my chicks are a mix of 2 weeks old, and less than one week old. The one that's dying now is under one week. They're on unmedicated food. I've noticed some runny poop in the brooder - dark brownish and some that's more black. Could it be coccidiosis? Should I get med from local Tractor supply? What kind. I'd hate to lose any more and want to do what I can to help them. Any help is appreciated!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If you suspect coccidia perhaps medicated feed wouldn't hurt.
    I've found that making sure the bedding stayed dry or immediately replacing it with dry if water gets spilled AND keeping feeders at least half full is all I need to prevent a cocci bloom.
    Also make sure there is sufficient room for the chicks to get away from the heat source.

3. LCoffee

LCoffee New Egg

Mar 22, 2013
    thanks. i'll head to store asap to get medicated feed and ask about meds IF is it coccidiosis. this is my first flock. i've been very diligent about cleaning the bedding. picking out poops several times a day, stirring the shavings and keeping water and food free of poop. i've been adding ACV to water since day one. so far all the other girls seem healthy but there are fresh, runny poops out there. not sure what else to do to keep them healthy. ideas? thanks in advance!

4. TERRY4

TERRY4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2012
    Jeromesville, Ohio
    I'm rather new but when I got our new chicks, yesterday, they suggested we use the medicated food. Which we are. I lost one baby right off, to poopy butt, or whatever. Kept having a glob of poop, I'd wipe it, have another. It was making a lot of noise too. They gave us a replacement right away.

Hope you don't have anymore problems.

Terry

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If you are feeding medicated feed, which is only for coccidia, the label says not to give any other amprolium type medication. Otherwise you'll be double dosing.
    Pasty butt and sometimes diahrea can be from being too warm. And pasty butt will kill them if not cleaned off.

6. LCoffee

LCoffee New Egg

Mar 22, 2013
    Thank you for the reply. No pasty butt. One of my 10 day old had that last week but only once and after I cleaned her off she's been fine. I think another 5 day old chick is dying. She's lethargic, eyes closed, barely moves. Wish I could diagnose the problem. Hate to lose any more.

7. LCoffee

LCoffee New Egg

Mar 22, 2013
    My husband is picking up medicated feed now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by